The Shen Pen

The Student News Site of Shenendehowa High School

The Shen Pen

The Shen Pen

Shen Sounds: A Musical Way to Bring Students Together

The day before each week-long break, student musicians adorn the school lobbies to fill the air with live music. In December, it could be classic holiday tunes. In spring, light jazz might fill the school. The practice gathers crowds of students and teachers, eager for the upcoming vacation.

Aside from the week before our three major vacations, the mornings lack the cheer that is so apparent during lobby performances.

Junior, Ben Kuhns, realized this and immediately set to work. Kuhns plays piano in a band called Keep Off, and wanted to find another space for them to perform.

After much communication with administration, Kuhns was able to initiate the process of regular student morning performances.

In the upcoming school year, Kuhns hopes to make these about two times a month, uniting the musicians and non-musicians in our school.

“It will greatly benefit the larger student unity in the building, bringing more interest and connectivity,” said Kuhns.

With the help of the Music Honor Society, the first “Shen Sounds” will be held on May 23rd, at 7:40am, in the HSE auditorium.

Music Honor Society President, Brigitte Tisenchek, jumped on the idea and brought the club to volunteer. She agrees with Kuhns’ prediction about Shen Sounds.

“It celebrates the musicality and talent of our high schoolers, and lets them show off their talents to their peers. It can bring people who would typically not interact together,” said Tisenchek.

Junior and non-musician Reid Metler heard about the event through a friend.

“Even though I’m not a musician, I think it sounds like a cool event and I could see myself attending,” said Metler.

Kuhns and volunteers don’t expect a large turnout for the first Shen Sounds event, but they hope to continue to grow the community Shen Sounds fosters.