The Shen Pen

The Student News Site of Shenendehowa High School

The Shen Pen

The Shen Pen

Don’t miss these senior events

The end of the school year brings many long-awaited traditions for seniors. Aside from the obvious prom and graduation, there’s many more events to look forward to, like the senior countdown, senior sunset, and many end of year senior field trips.This year, many seniors are rallying for more activities, such as the brand new senior field day that will take place on the last day of school. 

Now that AP exams are over, many students feel a sense of relief knowing that they can somewhat academically relax for the rest of the year. On the other hand, there are many upcoming events that will require a little bit of a social battery. While attending these events may be stressful for some, planning takes way more of a toll. 

For Class Council president, Gracie McMillan, the planning for prom is an all year task. Not only does the Class Council focus on prom, they also are the planners behind senior countdown and senior sunset. “Senior prom has been the hardest to plan, it’s a full year planning situation,” said McMillan. She added how many people aren’t appreciative of the work that the class council does, as many have complaints with the planning of these activities. “Most of the stuff we hear back from students are criticisms, but they don’t want to come to meetings and voice their opinions,” McMillan said. 

This year, a group of students is organizing a senior field day for the last day of school. This will correspond with the tradition of the senior countdown, which takes place every year during the last block on the last day of the school year. 

Many high school seniors have different feelings about the year coming to a close. Most are excited to begin this new chapter of their lives, 

and because of this, they’re most looking forward to graduation. “I’m excited to be in an environment where I’m surrounded by people of similar interests,” said Ava Day, a senior who will be attending RIT in the fall.

For some, graduation is just as much planning as class council does for prom. Lindsey Malek, the valedictorian of the 2024 class, has been working on writing her speech for graduation. “It’s going well, right now I’m still in the brainstorming phase but hopefully soon I should get some words down on paper,” said Malek. Most are looking forward to graduation, but the majority of the class doesn’t have to worry about writing a speech to give in front of over a thousand people.