The Shen Pen

The Student News Site of Shenendehowa High School

The Shen Pen

The Shen Pen

Get Ready for Mega Trivia Night 2024 hosted by All 8 Honor Societies

Anticipation is building at Shenendehowa High School as the annual Mega Trivia Night approaches, set to take place Thursday, May 30, from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the Little Theater. This event is a collaborative effort between all the honor societies, including World Language, Music, Tech, Art, Business, History, Math, and is being spearheaded by the Science National Honor Society (SNHS).

This year’s Mega Trivia Night is a testament to the power of collaboration within the Shen community, with just under 50 students expected to participate, similar to previous years. Every student can sign up to participate, even if they are not in any honor societies.

“The idea is to bring everyone together for a fun, low-stress, competitive event featuring trivia questions from all kinds of topics,” said Ankur Senapati, Vice President of SNHS. “You’ll be sure to have a great time whether you are a science nerd, a music nerd, or anything in between.”

The event is divided into two parts. The first part features a 35-question Kahoot quiz with multiple-choice questions. The top 20 scorers from this round will advance to a high-stakes, head-to-head buzzer competition. The final four will compete for the prestigious title of Mega Trivia Champion.

Participants are gearing up for the competition with a mix of excitement and nerves. “I am more than ready and have already signed myself up for trivia night,” said Matthew Beicke, a senior and member of the History Bowl Club. “I am aiming to bag all the history questions.”

Last year’s Mega Trivia Champion also shared his experiences. “Winning last year was an incredible feeling,” said Arcangelo Losee. “I barely qualified for the second round where we competed using the buzzer on stage, but I made it. You also really feel the pressure, which makes it fun.”

“I do like to watch the show ‘Jeopardy!’ which helps with general trivia knowledge,” added Losee. His advice for participants is to increase their exposure and breadth of information to be better prepared.

To encourage participation, Mega Trivia Night is expected to offer more prizes than ever. The honor societies’ officers and hosts have decided to double the total cash amount to over $200 for this year.

“The champion will receive a $25 gift card to any store of their choice, from Panera to Chick-fil-A or Crumbl Cookies,” said Senapati. “The rest will be distributed in random raffles for attendees during the event. There’s just a high likelihood of anyone who comes going home with a prize.”

Students can also earn points for their respective honor societies just by participating. For Math and Science, members earn 10 points for participating and an additional 5 points for placing in the top 20.

As the date approaches, the Shen High School community is buzzing with excitement. “I am planning to return this year again for lots of fun with my friends as an end-of-year activity,” said the former Mega Trivia Champion.

“This is my final opportunity to engage in one last high school competition with a buzzer now that Science Bowl is concluded,” said senior Joseph Ignatz, who said he has always relished the thrill of fast-paced games where participants vie to answer questions swiftly.

As Senapati said, Mega Trivia Night is shaping up to be another unforgettable once-in-a-year event. Whether one is a trivia buff, a supporter, or just looking for a fun way to spend an afternoon, this event promises something for everyone.

To register for the event, students will need to fill out the form distributed by the Science National Honor Society or contact their respective honor society presidents for more information.