The Shen Pen

The Student News Site of Shenendehowa High School

The Shen Pen

The Shen Pen

Restaurant Review: Keeping it Classic at Classic Crust

Newest addition to Jonesville, Classic Crust keeps the small town upbeat and thriving.
Classic Crust Pizza Bar, Jonesville, NY
Google Images
Classic Crust Pizza Bar, Jonesville, NY

If you’ve recently craved pizza, wanted to go out with some friends or are on the foodie side of Instagram, chances are you’ve seen the pizza shop on the corner of a little town called Jonesville. 

Classic Crust opened in Clifton Park, NY during the early 2020 pandemic. Greg and Julie, the married couple who owns the shop, are not new to the pizza community. They first started their career in a 1946 Chevy truck with 3 beer taps and one small wood fired oven to cater weddings, birthdays, and all the in between. Grabbing the old Jonesville store for sale, the couple decided to set up business in hopes to lure the local pizza fanatics in. Spoiler: it did! They knew their pizza was phenomenal but really their environment and minimalist aesthetic were the aspects that had business booming.

Greg and Julie kept their principles on pizza and installed multiple woodfired ovens into their restaurant, leaving an open kitchen to make conversation with the friendly chefs. Before the dough even hits the oven, Classic Crust’s dough is hand-spun, working in authenticity for all to experience. In an era of skinny jeans and crop tops, Classic Crust’s dough comes out light and delicate, aiding its digestibility. 

The low-lit pendant lights sparkle as the cook fires up the oven. Upbeat chitter-chatter runs through the crowded restaurant as the fresh, woody smell from the kitchen blares out. Fresh mozzarella cheese and red sauce coats the top of the dough. To give it that original Italian touch, small doses of olive oil is spread amongst the toppings, still keeping its lightweight feel for a filling yet comfortable eating experience.

Don’t worry if plain cheese isn’t your thing, Classic Crust steps up its game with house special pizzas with unique ingredients like Wickle Pickle, Lobster pizza, and Chicken Jalapeno. This restaurant sets up a side of chaos in its flavors yet keeps it classic, adding in fan-favorites of Caesar salads, buffalo chicken dip, and homemade root beer floats to the mix of the menu.

Classic Crust sees the value in their customer’s comfortability but embraces the wild side in their menu. On a Friday night, you’ll see the dim restaurant be flooded with people of all ages seated in cushioned booths, connecting with their friends, family, but most importantly, themselves over eccentric woodfired pizza.