The Shen Pen

The Student News Site of Shenendehowa High School

The Shen Pen

The Shen Pen

Girls Basketball Dominates Troy

Mya+Parker+dribbles+around+a+player+during+a+game+against+Troy.+
Sophie Ziter
Mya Parker dribbles around a player during a game against Troy.

One thing was proven Friday night- no one could stop the girls basketball team. The Shenendehowa  Plainsmen beat the Troy Flying Horses 75-22 to secure their second win of the season. 

Senior captains Abby and Gabby Staurt helped lead the offense to their victory with nine points and five rebounds for  Gabby. Abby had eight points, five assists, and nine steals. Along with sophomore Gianna Winter leading the team with thirteen points and eight rebounds. 

“Well, so far, these games are the warm ups of the year, getting out the nerves.” said Abby Staurt. The other win by the girls was on Dec. 5 where they beat Schenectady Patriots 82-12. 

The Plainsmen had everything clicking the past two games with playing dominant offense and even more dominant defense. “Playing team basketball really, passing the ball, finding the looks,” said Gabby Stuart. 

The Plainsmen worked on more conditioning and trusting each other this past  off season in order to play their best basketball.  “This year we have more of a balanced team, everybody can score the ball, so we have to keep passing the ball instead of relying on one person to shoot the ball,” said Gabby Staurt. 

This Friday, the Plainsmen take on the Colonie Central Raiders who players say are one of their biggest opponents of the year. “On Friday, we’re going to have a pretty big game… and we’re going to have to come prepared and ready,” Abby Staurt said.