Awareness to Unified Sports

Awareness to Unified Sports

Ashley O’Hara, Shen Pen Contributor

As a student at Shenendehowa High School who’s involved with sports and  extracurriculars, I didn’t feel connected to the whole school and felt something was missing when I saw how separate and divided our school really was. I talked to an adult, Coach Galarneau, and the next thing I knew, I was staying after school to attend a “unified bowling” meeting. I didn’t even know what unified bowling was. Little did I know, attending that meeting was going to make a significant impact in my life. 

At the meeting we all did the typical  “get to know you” talk – name, grade and favorite ice cream flavor. Then Coach explained why we were all there. I found out unified bowling was the joining of students with and without intellectual disabilities on the same team. Unified sports help breakdown the stereotype about people with intellectual disabilities in a fun way. Training together and playing together promotes social inclusion, understanding and is a quick path to friendship. Many young people with disabilities never get a chance to play on their school sports team and this program makes it possible.  I couldn’t believe how much fun it was! There was no one judging me or laughing because I wasn’t a good bowler. I was surrounded by boys and girls my age who were cheering each other on, laughing and smiling the whole time. When I would see my teammates at school, they would come up and say hi. I had thought it was my responsibility to make a difference in their life, when actually, they were making a difference in mine. We were equals in all the ways that mattered. 

Coach Galarneau gave me a gift when she invited me to that meeting, and thanks to her, I’m on a new path that continues to evolve. I’ve joined unified gym classes, the unified bowling and basketball team, attended leadership conferences for unified programs and I also work with special needs youth and adults at my summer job. These student-athletes opened my heart and my eyes to the true meaning of friendship and to having a higher purpose.