The Shen Pen

The Student News Site of Shenendehowa High School

The Shen Pen

The Shen Pen

Shen girls season comes to an end

Girls lose unexpectedly to South Colonie
Girls+Varsity+basketball+team+against+South+Colonie.+%0APhoto+courtesy+of+Alyssa+Romano.+
Girls Varsity basketball team against South Colonie. Photo courtesy of Alyssa Romano.

The Shen girls’ basketball team faced a devastating end to their season last week. After a near perfect record, they fell short in their first sectional game against South Colonie with a score of 60-55.

This game wasn’t something the team was too worried about going into it, due to their successful regular season games. It was a less than bittersweet end for the seniors on the team. 

Senior Captain, Abby Stuart, describes her final moments on the court.

“It was really tough especially when the last buzzer hit for a lot of us. For some of us seniors, it was our last game ever out on the court so it was really sad to know it was all over. But we played our hearts out as hard as we could,” she said. 

Her twin, captain Gabby Stuart, had a similar experience throughout the game. She felt disappointed with the loss given the stakes of the game, but knew that at the end of the day they couldn’t change the outcome. 

Regardless, the girls had a supportive coaching staff by their side throughout the game. The assistant coaches have been nothing but encouraging on the sideline and have been a key factor to their success.

It’s not just the coaches that kept this team running, the team’s strong bond is what pushed them through the hard game. They play for each other, and their friendship is a tough thing for the seniors to leave behind. 

“It’s going to be really sad leaving everyone. It’s been so tough but we have had a great team and staff. Everyone is super supportive, we all love each other,” said Abby Stuart.

The team’s focus is now on the future. The underclassmen are all very young, but are predicted to withhold the team’s legacy.  

“We have phenomenal rising sophomores. They were a big aspect of our team this season and they started a lot more than most underclassmen,” said Gabby Stuart.

When looking back at their basketball careers that started in 3rd grade, the twins have a lot of advice for upcoming players. 

“It’s just important for them to get out of their own heads, stay confident and don’t let the past determine their future. We don’t have many juniors on the team so it’s really all for the sophomores and 8th graders,” they said.

Thinking of their own futures, Abby has not yet committed to a college, but says she is retiring her basketball career. Gabby, however, is playing basketball at SUNY Brockport this fall.