The Shen Pen

The Student News Site of Shenendehowa High School

The Shen Pen

The Shen Pen

Quality Makeup for Less is Possible

Elf Dupe
Google Images
Elf Dupe

Say you’re in the mood to do some makeup shopping, but you’re on a budget. You don’t want to buy cheap products because they won’t be good quality, but all the good quality products are expensive. If you want to get the most bang for your buck, look at e.l.f.’s line of makeup. With healthy formulas, trend-following quality, and low prices, e.l.f. is an underrated gem.

Dupes are the latest trend of 2023. Why buy a $120 sweatshirt when you could find a lookalike on Amazon for $30? Maybe this was seen as “off-brand” in the past, but now, it’s all about saving money. If it looks the same, it’s good enough, and who can really tell the difference anyway? This is what e.l.f. is all about. 

When you’re putting something on your face, you want it to be good quality. You won’t look for makeup that would make you break out, so you turn to the expensive brands with healthy formulas and fancy packaging. But once the allure wears off, you might regret the dent in your bank account. So you could buy the viral Dior lip oil for $40, or you could buy the e.l.f. dupe for $8. While the formulas aren’t necessarily the same, the ingredients on both are safe for your skin. 

E.l.f. is a company that is known for always listening to their consumers’ opinions, and making dupes for popular, but expensive products. A quick glance at the packaging and you’ll notice their commitment to being cruelty-free and vegan, and the unsafe ingredients that they promise to never use. 

There are some brands that e.l.f. has duped more than once. Charlotte Tilbury’s Flawless Filter is $49 for 30 ml. For $14, you can choose e.l.f.’s Halo Glow Liquid Filter, which actually contains 1.5 ml more of product. Charlotte Tilbury’s blush, highlighter, and  contour wands were also duped by e.l.f. Compare $42 for one of those to $9 for the duped version. 

Not all of e.l.f.’s products are dupes, but each product from their brand is positively reviewed. Each e.l.f. product I’ve tried has never failed to disappoint. You can’t turn down the cheap price for such good quality, and many people swear by this brand.