The Shen Pen

The Student News Site of Shenendehowa High School

The Shen Pen

The Shen Pen

Girls Basketball Doesn’t Give Up

Beats Columbia in overtime
Plainsmen+beat+Columbia+Friday%2C+Jan.+5+in+overtime.+
Sophie Ziter
Plainsmen beat Columbia Friday, Jan. 5 in overtime.

One thing was shown Friday night- the girls basketball team does not give up. The Shenendehowa Plainsmen got the overtime win against the Columbia Blue Devils with the score of 65-62 to improve their record to 7-1. 

Senior captain Gabby Staurt led the team with twenty-three points, nine rebounds, six assists, and six steals. Along with Kaitlyn Milham who scored nineteen points and had eleven rebounds. 

In the first period, the Plainsmen were down by six. The Blue Devils came out fast and strong, only allowing the Plainsmen to score eight points. 

The Blue Devils were a physical team which the Plainsmen used to their advantage. Half the points scored by Plainsmen were from free throws. “One of their best players is very aggressive, so we knew we had to attack her and draw those fouls,” said Gabby Staurt. 

The Plainsmen came back starting in the second period with trust in one another. The game kept going back and forth but the Plainsmen had the lead at half with the score of 24-20. 

“Trusting our teammates and playing as a team, we know we can’t win when it’s one against five,” said Kaitlyn Milham. 

Opening up the second half, the Plainsmen scored six points within the first minute and half. The Plainsmen had the lead of 48-41 going into the fourth with Staurt leading with eight points. 

At the start of the fourth period, the Blue Devils played aggressively and kept fouling the Plainsmen. The Plainmen were able to take advantage and gained seven foul shot points. The game kept going back and forth between the Plainsmen and the Blue Devils within the last two minutes of the game. 

The game was tied with 2.6 seconds left of regulation and went into overtime with the score even at fifty-nine. 

“Focus, we have four minutes to be the team on top and just outplay them and hustle,” said Gabby Staurt. The Plainsmen were able to focus in overtime and outplayed the Blue Devils to secure the win.