The Shen Pen

The Student News Site of Shenendehowa High School

The Shen Pen

The Shen Pen

Students say, Senior Sunrise: A Success

Students+say+Senior+Sunrise+was+a+success.+
Kate Abramson
Students say Senior Sunrise was a success.

The Shenendehowa Senior Class Council hosted the schools first Senior Sunrise event at the end of September and despite not actually seeing the sun rise, seniors, administrators, and class council members agree that the event was a success. 

There were multiple positive reviews on Shen’s Senior Sunrise including shen senior, Ju-lie Turiel  who said that she “had fun and enjoyed it.” 

Despite being on crutches, Turiel said that she decided to go because her friends were going. She brought her own food and drink from Dunkin’ instead of taking the offered donations. 

She said that getting up that early was hard, but she eventually forced herself to get out of bed. 

Turiel, like many attendees, said that the big disappointment at the event was that there was no sunrise. The morning turned out to be too cloudy to actually see the sun come up. 

Turiel said she is also planning to attend the Senior Sunset held at the end of the school year. 

“I can always catch a sunset,” she said.  

Senior Class President, Gracie McMillan, said that Senior Sunrise went well. Her worries about the event being rained out were put at ease when the sky stayed clear all morning. 

“There was no sunrise, but it didn’t rain so that’s a win,” she said. 

McMillan  said the event wasn’t too difficult to plan, but took various meetings with administrators, and calls to stores about donating food to the event. She also said that most of the work was done over the summer. 

McMillan attended the sunrise as well. She said that she would do it again. She also encourages the next senior classes to put on a Senior Sunrise, because it is a good time to sign the class rock. 

“I hope it will become some sort of tradition because it was fun and plays into the Senior Sunset we have at the end of the year,” McMillan said.  

Charlie Heller, class council social media coordinator, said he thought Senior Sunrise went well. They ended up with more food donations than expected, and more seniors showed up than previously anticipated. 

Heller said it’s hard to ask seniors to wake up as early as they did. Considering this, it was a good turn out that he, along with the rest of Class Council, was pleased with. 

Heller said he attended the Sunrise, and said he thought many students were enjoying the event.